Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Shots!

Owen had his 6 month immunization shots yesterday so we're spending all day at home cuddling and keeping up with the tylenol until his fever breaks. (which means no storytime at the library today) I'm so glad we don't have any more shots for 6 whole months! We are so lucky (knocking on wood now) that Owen hasn't been sick his whole life. He hasn't had any ear infections, colds, stomach viruses... nothing. He's pretty much happy and healthy all the time (as long as you keep cow's milk away that is!) So that's probably why after shots we really coddle him because we aren't used to him acting so pitiful.
Everyone tells you that 6 months is the best age and even though at 4 months, I didn't think it could get any better... IT DOES! The subject of baby #2 comes up quite a bit and last night Ben and I were saying, "if only we could give birth to a 6 month old" we'd be ready tomorrow! If only.
On to our big boy's 6 month stats:
28.5 inches long (90%) 21.1 lbs (92%) and 97% for head circum. He still has a big big brain :D
Teeth: Yesterday the doctor said she wouldn't be surprised if we woke up tomorrow to TWO teeth.. but today still no sign of them. I have to say, I'm not in a hurry for this. For some reason, it makes me feel like he will be forever changed. When I see kids with teeth I no longer think "baby" I think toddler. I'm not ready for Owen to be a toddler. I'll get over it, obviously. But for today, he's still my "baby"
Crawling: who needs it? not him. He can get from point A to B without even getting on his knees! It's hilarious, he uses his feet to scoot himself, he hasn't quite figured out that this would be much easier if he got up on his knees. Again, not quite ready for him to figure this out yet so we are content with his modified army crawl he has going on.
Feeding: Needless to say, this kid eats A LOT. He would eat more than one 4 oz jar of baby food at each sitting (3 a day) if we'd let him. He hates formula, so I think he tries to fill up on solids and hold out until the next time I pump. He's a smart cookie. He also can feed himself his own bottle and bananas in those little feeder mesh thingys. I have to say, this is life changing! It is so nice to be able to hand him a bottle and fold laundry or hand him the banana thing while I eat a sandwich. It's heavenly. Btw. If you don't have one of those meshy thingys you must get one. He loves it. I think it makes him feel independent.
Sleeping: still. not. sleeping. He has really become a great napper though! He has 1 two hour nap a day now (this is AMAZING) and then he has 2 30-45 min naps, and then pretty much just "naps" all night. (aka wakes up every 2.5 hrs) SO doc says we must intervene here and try cry it out. he needs sleep for development. so, we're going to after we go to OKC on the 16/17. There is no reason to do it twice this month and since we are already scheduled to go out of town we are waiting until after we get back so that we don't have to do a "refresher" course so soon. Wish us luck.

2 comments:

  1. j has a big head too, we agree with the bigger brain! :) we had the same issue with sleeping, and i hated the "crying it out" stage. but it didnt take too long and he got the hang of it.. it wasnt so much letting him cry when we put him down, it was the middle of the night cries.. it just felt like it would be so much easier to go back in and give him his paci, but it was worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! Some of my friends retreated to a different part of the house (one spent lots of time in the garage) during the cry it out phase. I guess that's kind of hard when you're sleeping right next door but I know you can get through it - it will be worth it! I know I don't have any experience but I will offer lots of encouragement and you can do the same for me some day :)

    ReplyDelete